How to install Maps updates on Garmin devices?
Having a Garmin GPS is a great benefit if you lose easily on the road. However, the GPS device is not good if it is not updated. The latest Maps updates contain accurate geographic information. It is therefore recommended to install these updates. With Garmin Express, you can download and install the latest Maps updates on your device. The following instructions can help you install map updates on your Garmin using Garmin Express:
Install Garmin Express
Garmin Express is required to install map updates. Follow the steps below to set up Garmin Express on your computer.
- Open the official Garmin Web site at https://www.garmin.com/en-s/software/express.
- Download Garmin Express for your Mac or Windows computer.
- Open the downloaded .dmg or .exe installer.
- Read and accept the terms and conditions by checking the box next to the agreement.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation.
- Check the "Start Garmin Express" box after the installation is complete.
This will set up Garmin Express on your computer and can be used to install map updates on your Garmin device.
Install map updates
- Connect your computer and the Garmin device with a USB cable.
- Click Updates at the top center. This will show all the updates available for your device.
- Click Install All to install all available updates. The installation may take several minutes.
- Follow the instructions that appear to complete the update after the installation is complete.
- Disconnect the computer and Garmin device after the update is complete.
You can now use your Garmin device with the latest and most accurate geographic information.
Troubleshoot map updates
Updates sometimes fail for several reasons. The steps below can be used to troubleshoot updates.
- Uninstall and reinstall Garmin Express if the card update fails. This deletes any old or corrupted files that may cause the update to fail.
- Disable the firewall on a Mac or Windows computer if the update of the card is not completed or if it takes time. Firewall settings can sometimes interfere with Garmin Express, which can delay updates.
- Restart your computer after installing the Garmin Express software automatic updates. This removes any obsolete temporary files from the previous installation.
- Use the Garmin Garmin Express Card Update Option directly if the map updates are not successful yet. This option overrides some computer settings that may interfere with updates.
- Open Garmin Express and go to the tab of my cards.
- Click Garmin Map Update, and then choose Run.
- Click "Continue" and accept the terms and conditions.
- Click Continue and choose Yes when the message appears to reinstall the map update.
- Select your geographic region based on map updates and click "OK".
This will install the map updates available on your Garmin device.